INGREDIENTS: SERVES 4
- 8 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2tbsp Fairway Assured rapeseed oil
- 100 grams bacon, cut into 4cm pieces
- Fairway Assured Salt and pepper
- 2 pinches Fairway Assured garlic powder
- 2 large shallots, quartered
- 1 bouquet garnie
- 1 tbsp Fairway Assured tomato paste
- 125 grams chicken bouillon
- ½ bottle red wine
- 2 med carrots, peeled and cut into 4cm pieces,
- 3 tbsp Fairway Assured butter ( 1tbsp is for the rice)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 250 grams baby chestnut mushrooms, whole or halved as desired
- 200 grams rice
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°f.
- In an oven proof dish heat the rapeseed oil until hot, add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until crispy. Remove the bacon to a kitchen paper, keep a little of the bacon fat in the pan.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Over medium heat, brown chicken in reserved bacon fat, working with only 2-3 pieces at a time, about 5 minutes. Set chicken aside.
- In the same pan add, shallots, and soften for a few minutes, add the wine and chicken stock, bring to the boil, and add the chicken, carrots, bouquet garnie, garlic powder, tomato paste and cooked bacon. Add mushrooms, stir and allow to simmer for about 1 minute.
- cover the pot with a tightfitting lid and place in the oven. Braise for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place back on top of the stove.
- In a small bowl mix together melted butter with flour and stir in ¼ cup liquid from braising pan. Pour mixture back into the pan. Stir and cover. Cook for 10 minutes longer over medium heat. Season to taste.
- Top with parsley and serve with buttered rice or mashed potatoes.