Ingredients: Makes 6
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 chicken breasts
- 6 spring onions, cut into 2.5cm lengths
- Sticky rice to serve, fresh chillies and coriander
- 500ml of chicken stock
- 2 spring onions
- 1 knob of ginger, about 2.5cm, sliced
- 50ml of sake
- 100ml of mirin
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 50ml of tamari
- 50ml of dark soy sauce
- 50ml of water
- Add all the sauce ingredients to a saucepan, bring to the boil and reduce by half until thick and glossy.
- Divide into two bowls: one to be used as a dipping sauce and one for basting while cooking.
- Remove any skin from the chicken and cut into rectangular strips.
- Fold each strip, pushing a skewer through each side to create a domed effect.
- Alternate each piece of chicken with a section of spring onion and brush lightly with oil.
- Heat a barbecue/grill for direct grilling.
- Grill the chicken skewers, turning often.
- Once the chicken skewers are around 80% cooked, baste in the sauce and cook until caramelised.